Zhiyuan Zhong is the Dean of College of Pharmaceutical Sciences. His research focuses on controlled drug release (including chemotherapeutics, proteins, nucleic acid drugs, and radiopharmaceuticals), targeted cancer therapy, and cancer immunotherapy. He has co-authored more than 300 papers with over 22000 times of citation (H-Index 77). He is a Highly Cited Researcher in Pharmacology/Toxicology.
He is an Associate Editor for J. Control. Release (IF 11.467). He has served as an Associate Editor for Biomacromolecules in 2015-2019 and a Vice President of Suzhou bioBay (a top biomedical park in China) in 2011-2012. He is on the Editorial/Advisory Board of 8 journals (including Mater. Today, Biomacromolecules, Acta Pharmaceutica Sinica B, Nanotechnology, Mater. Today Chem., PLoS One, J. Gene Med., and J. Biomater. Sci. Polym. Ed.) and an Executive Chair for the 1st-5th Symposium on Innovative Polymers for Controlled Delivery (SIPCD) held biennially in Suzhou, China. He has received several awards including Biomacromolecules/Macromolecules Young Investigator Award (ACS), the Friedrich Wilhelm Bessel Research Award (Humboldt Foundation), National Ten-Thousand Talent Award, and National Outstanding Young Scholar Award. He is a Fellow of the American Institute for Medical and Biological Engineering (AIMBE).
1. J.J. Wei, D. Wu, S.S. Zhao, Y. Shao, Y.F. Xia, F.H. Meng*, D.W. Ni, X.Y. Qiu, J.P. Zhang, J. Chen*, and Z.Y. Zhong*, Immunotherapy of Malignant Glioma by Non-Invasive Administration of TLR9 Agonist CpG Nano-immunoadjuvant, Adv. Sci. 2022, 202103689.
2. H. Zheng, B.B. Guo, X.Y. Qiu, Y.F. Xia, Y. Qu, L. Cheng,* F.H. Meng*, Z.Y. Zhong*, Polymersome-Mediated Cytosolic Delivery of Cyclic Dinucleotide STING Agonist Enhances Tumor Immunotherapy, Bioactive Mater. 2022, 16, 1-11.
3. Y. Zheng*, Z.Y. Zhong*, Roadmap to next-generation cancer vaccines, J. Control. Release. 2022, 347, 308-313.
4. J.J. Wei, D. Wu, Y. Shao, B.B. Guo, J.J. Jiang, J. Chen, J.P. Zhang, F.H. Meng*, Z.Y. Zhong*, ApoE-mediated systemic nanodelivery of granzyme B and CpG for enhanced glioma immunotherapy, J. Control. Release. 2022, 347, 68-77.
5. H.H. Fang, Y.J. Sha, L. Yang, J.J. Jiang, L.C. Yin, J.Y. Li, B. Li, B. Klumperman, Z.Y. Zhong*, and F.H. Meng*, Macrophage-Targeted Hydroxychloroquine Nanotherapeutics for Rheumatoid Arthritis Therapy, ACS Appl. Mater. Interfaces. 2022, 14, 8824-8837.
6. Z. Wang, S.S. Zhao, F.H. Meng*, J.D. Yuan, andZ.Y. Zhong*,Folate-mediated targeted PLK1 inhibition therapy for ovarian cancer: A comparative study of molecular inhibitors and siRNA therapeutics, Acta Biomaterialia. 2022, 138, 443-452.
7. X.Y.Qiu, Y.Qu, B.B.Guo, H.Zheng, F.H. Meng*, andZ.Y. Zhong*,Micellar paclitaxel boosts ICD and chemo-immunotherapy of metastatic triple negative breast cancer, J. Control. Release. 2022, 341, 498-510.
8. Y.F. Zhang, S.J. Yue, H.L. Sun*, R. Haag, Z.Y. Zhong*, An intelligent cell-selective polymersome-DM1 nanotoxin toward triple negative breast cancer, J. Control. Release. 2021, 340, 331-341.
9. Z. Wang, F.H. Meng, and Z.Y. Zhong*, Emerging targeted drug delivery strategies toward ovarian cancer, Adv. Drug Deliv. Rev. 2021, 178, 113969
10. N. Yu, Y.F. Zhang, J.Y. Li, W.X. Gu, S.J. Yue, B. Li, F.H. Meng, H.L. Sun*, R. Haag, J.D. Yuan, andZ.Y. Zhong*, Daratumumab Immunopolymersome-Enabled Safe and CD38-Targeted Chemotherapy and Depletion of Multiple Myeloma, Adv. Mater. 2021, 33, 2007787.
11. Y.H. Wei, Y.P. Sun, J.J. Wei, X.Y. Qiu, F.H. Meng*, G. Storm*, J.D. Yuan, Z.Y. Zhong*, Selective transferrin coating as a facile strategy to fabricate BBB-permeable and targeted vesicles for potent RNAi therapy of brain metastatic breast cancer in vivo, J. Control. Release. 2021, 337, 521-529.
12. W.X. Gu, R.B. Qu, F.H. Meng*,J.L.M. Cornelissen*, andZ.Y. Zhong*,Polymeric Nanomedicines Targeting Hematological Malignancies, J. Control. Release. 2021, 337, 571-588.
13. Y.F. Xia, J.J. Wei, S.S. Zhao, B.B. Guo, F.H. Meng*, B. Klumperman, andZ.Y. Zhong*,Systemic administration of polymersomal oncolytic peptide LTX-315 combining with CpG adjuvant and anti-PD-1 antibody boosts immunotherapy of melanoma, J. Control. Release. 2021, 336, 262-273.
14. Z.Y. Zhong*, Controlled delivery systems are the cornerstone of advanced therapies and vaccines: An Asian perspective, J. Control. Release. 2021, 334, 34-36.
15. Q.Y. Fan, Y.Y. Liu, G.H. Cui, Z.Y. Zhong*,andC. Deng*, Brain delivery of Plk1 inhibitor via chimaeric polypeptide polymersomes for safe and superb treatment of orthotopic glioblastoma, J. Control. Release. 2021, 329, 1139-1149.
16. W.X. Gu, T.H. Liu, D.Y. Fan, J.B. Zhang, Y.F. Xia, F.H. Meng*, Y. Xu*, J.L.M. Cornelissen, Z.J. Liu, andZ.Y. Zhong*,A6 peptide-tagged, ultra-small and reduction-sensitive polymersomal vincristine sulfate as a smart and specific treatment for CD44+ acute myeloid leukemia, J. Control. Release. 2021, 329, 706-716.
17. W.X. Gu, F.H. Meng*, R. Haag, andZ.Y. Zhong*,Actively targeted nanomedicines for precision cancer therapy: Concept, construction, challenges and clinical translation, J. Control. Release. 2021, 329, 676-695.
18. C. Gao, Q. Cheng, J.W. Wei, C. Sun, S.Y. Lu, C.H.T. Kwong, S.M.Y. Lee, Z.Y. Zhong*, and R.B. Wang*, Bioorthogonal supramolecular cell-conjugation for targeted hitchhiking drug delivery, Mater. Today. 2020, 40, 9-17.
19. C. Deng*, Q. Zhang, J.Q. Guo, X.F. Zhao, and Z.Y. Zhong*, Robust and smart polypeptide-based nanomedicines for targeted tumor therapy, Adv. Drug Deliv. Rev. 2020, 160, 199-211.
20. H.L. Sun, and Z.Y. Zhong*, 100th Anniversary of Macromolecular Science Viewpoint: Biological Stimuli-Sensitive Polymer Prodrugs and Nanoparticles for Tumor-Specific Drug Delivery, ACS Macro Lett. 2020, 9, 1292-1302.
21. Y.H. Wei, F.H. Meng*, G. Storm, and Z.Y. Zhong*, Transferrin-Binding Peptide Functionalized Polymersomes Mediate Targeted Doxorubicin Delivery to Colorectal Cancer In Vivo, J. Control. Release. 2020, 319, 407-415.
22. Y.N. Zhong, F.H. Meng*, W. Zhang, B. Li, J. van Hest, andZ.Y. Zhong*,CD44-Targeted Vesicles Encapsulating Granzyme B as Artificial Killer Cells for Potent Inhibition of Human Multiple Myeloma in Mice, J. Control. Release. 2020, 320, 421-430.
23. X.L. Gu, Z.H. Zhu, Y.H. Wei, G.L. Wang, F.H. Meng, Z.Y. Zhong*, and C. Deng*, Nano-Agents Based on Poly(ethylene glycol)-b-Poly(L-thyroxine) Block Copolypeptide for Enhanced Dual-Modality Imaging and Targeted Tumor Radiotherapy, Small. 2019, 15, 1902577.
24. Y. Zou, Y.H. Wei, J. Bao, F.R. Yao, Z.K. Li, Y.P. Sun, F.H. Meng*, C.H. Hu, G. Storm, andZ.Y. Zhong*, Cyclic RGD-Functionalized and Disulfide-Crosslinked Iodine-Rich Polymersomes as a Robust and Smart Theranostic Agent for Targeted CT Imaging and Chemotherapy of Melanoma, Theranostics. 2019, 9, 8061-8072.
25. W.X. Gu, J.N. An, H. Meng, N. Yu, Y.N. Zhong, F.H. Meng*, Y. Xu*, J.L.M. Cornelissen, andZ.Y. Zhong*,CD44-Specific A6 Short Peptide Boosts Targetability and Anticancer Efficacy of Polymersomal Epirubicin to Orthotopic Human Multiple Myeloma, Adv. Mater.2019, 1904742.
26. H.Z. Qin, Y. Jiang, J. Zhang, C. Deng*, and Z.Y. Zhong*, Oncoprotein Inhibitor Rigosertib Loaded in ApoE-Targeted Smart Polymersomes Reveals a High Safety and Potency against Human Glioblastoma in Mice, Mol. Pharmaceutics. 2019, 16, 3711-3719.
27. M. Qiu, J. Ouyang, Y.H. Wei, J. Zhang, Q. Lan, C. Deng*, and Z.Y. Zhong*, Selective cell penetrating peptide-functionalized envelope-type chimaeric lipopepsomes boost systemic RNAi therapy for lung tumor, Adv. Healthcare Mater. 2019, 1900500.
28. X.L. Gu, Y.H. Wei, Q.Y. Fan, H.L. Sun, R. Cheng, Z.Y. Zhong*, and C. Deng*, cRGD-decorated biodegradable polytyrosine nanoparticles for robust encapsulation and targeted delivery of doxorubicin to colorectal cancer in vivo, J. Control. Release. 2019, 301, 110-118.
29. W.X. Gu, J.N. An, H. Meng, N. Yu, Y.N. Zhong, F.H. Meng*, Y. Xu*, J.L.M. Cornelissen, and Z.Y. Zhong*, CD44-Specific A6 Short Peptide Boosts Targetability and Anticancer Efficacy of Polymersomal Epirubicin to Orthotopic Human Multiple Myeloma, Adv. Mater. 2019, 1904742.
30. Y. Jiang, J. Zhang*, F.H. Meng, and Z.Y. Zhong*, Apolipoprotein E Peptide-Directed Chimeric Polymersomes Mediate an Ultrahigh-Efficiency Targeted Protein Therapy for Glioblastoma, ACS Nano. 2018, 12, 11070-11079.
31. Y. Jiang, W.J. Yang, J. Zhang*, F.H. Meng, and Z.Y. Zhong*, Protein Toxin Chaperoned by LRP-1 Targeted Virus-Mimicking Vesicles Induces High-Efficiency Glioblastoma Therapy In Vivo, Adv. Mater. 2018, 30, 1800316.
32. Y.Q. Zhu, J. Feijen*, and Z.Y. Zhong*, Dual-Targeted Nanomedicines for Enhanced Tumor Treatment, Nano Today. 2018, 18, 65-85.
33. Y. Zou, M. Zheng, W.J. Yang, F.H. Meng*, K. Miyata, H.J. Kim, K. Kataoka*, and Z.Y. Zhong*, Virus-Mimicking Chimaeric Polymersome Boosts Targeted Cancer siRNA Therapy in Vivo, Adv. Mater. 2017, 29, 1703285